The app will automatically detect your device's language settings and use that language as a default to search for courses and localise the interface. In order to use Memrise in another language, and look for specific courses (when available), you will have to change your device's language settings and then search for the relevant course.
- You will need to do this only once. All your courses will still be available even if you change your device back to the original language.
- By default, Memrise will not show you courses in the language of your device. For instance, if your device's language is set to English, English courses will not appear in the list of languages.
How to change your language settings on iOS:
- Open your device's ⚙️ Settings
- Navigate to ⚙️ General
- Scroll down and select Language & Region
- Select a language from the list and tap Done
How to change your language settings on Android:
- Open your device's Settings
- Select Languages & Input, or visit General management
- Add or select a language
(These instructions may differ depending on which Android device you are using.)
When searching for new courses, you will also be able to change the source language you will be prompted in.
Which languages is Memrise translated into?
At the moment we have translated the app into the following languages:
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Chinese (Traditional)
- Norwegian Bokmål
- Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil)
- Spanish (Spain and Mexico)
- and Welsh (on iOS only)
If Memrise has not yet been translated into your native language, the app will appear in English.
When will you localise the app in more languages?
Sadly we currently have no plans to add more languages to the list above.